“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
When was the last time you tried something exhilarating? Something that your body could feed off the excitement, gave you an adrenaline rush, or made you feel more alive than ever?!
I started snowboarding last winter for the first time. I had only thought about giving it a try for far too long. Every winter I had second thoughts or whatever excuse: It’s too expensive, I don’t have gear, I don’t even know if my little car will make it up those dreaded WA mountains, How will I ever learn?, Snowboarding? You can’t even move your feet?!
But last winter I finally said ‘Ok, we’re doing this NOW.’ I AM HOOKED! In fact, I had been hoping for a load of fresh snow and had been eagerly anticipating winter to arrive despite the amazing summer I had. I mean, WHO AM I? : )
I still have not mastered the sport and still fear the inclined slopes, but I hope to get better! Just being able to freely slide down the mountain snow gives me a rush of adrenaline and maybe even a little fear. But it’s such a great, liberating feeling that feeds my sense of adventure!
Here are a few phone pics and still-shots from my GoPro. I was afraid of taking my camera and breaking it, but we can always count on the amazing GoPro! This was my first trip to Crystal Mountain, and it was everything I had imagined!
Have you tried winter sports before? Thinking about giving it a try, but just haven’t gotten around doing so?
Here are some tips on how YOU can get started!
- Research local groups or clubs that might offer free lessons. I came across a group called Hui ‘O He’e Hau ‘O Wakinekona via a list serve through my school (UW). They provided free lessons, borrowed full gear, and discounted lift tickets. How great is that?!
- Start off with night ski/snowboarding hours. It’s not as daunting as it sounds! Many resorts offer night hours and are very well lit. Night hours are cheaper, AND there are less people, so you don’t have to worry about crashing into others or getting stared at.
- Ready to own your own gear but don’t like the price tag? BUY USED! I bought great board/bindings/boots off Craigslist.
- Want new gear? Don’t get too eager, be patient, and BUY OFF-SEASON! Stores will place things on sale at the end of the winter season.
- Shop at discount stores, like Marshall’s, TJ Maxx, or even Ross. They have great, unused items for knock off prices! This is where all my snowboarding attire has come from.
- Don’t forget to browse your online social websites, such as Groupon, LivingSocial, and Amazon. You might be able to find discounted ski/snowboarding tickets.
- You can always borrow gear from close family/friends and even get free lessons from them : )
- DO NOT buy everything at once. This can be overwhelming.
I hope you, too, can try this exhilarating sport! Or simply make time to visit your local state parks.
There is something about being outdoors among the mountains and trees that will re-energize you. Earth’s beauty is unbelievable, and I think many people forget to stop and take it all in.
Think for a sec – when was the last time you touched the bark of a tree, climbed that tree, or even picked up a rock??
GO OUT THERE! RE-CHARGE! BREATHE DEEP! And clear your mind from the clutter that our busy lives and the city (if you live in one) have created in our minds.
Love and Adventure,